Saturday 19 April 2014

A new house with a garden!

2 months ago hubby and I moved into a new home which came with a grassy back garden and stony front garden. My initial feeling was that it would be de-weeded and trimmed when necessary but next door would be bitterly disappointed if they thought they had a Best Garden competition on their hands!

Every morning I looked out our bedroom window and thought "must dig up that weedy flower bed". And so last Saturday when it was sunny and fairly warm (unusual for April!), I donned the wellies, lifted the spade and set about digging up the weeds and turning the mud. I didn't know for what purpose I was turning the mud but I'd seen my grandpa do it when I was wee so guessed it was the right thing to do!

Thoroughly exhausted, I stood back and looked at what I'd done. This patch of garden looked good and I felt incredibly proud of myself. I suddenly wanted to do more. I wanted the flower bed to be full of pretty flowers!

And so started a very unexpected passion for gardening. I think it must be in the genes. My grandpa was a gardener by trade and both my dad and mum enjoy pottering around with flowers and the odd strawberry. However I'm a complete novice and so I'm heavily reliant on google and other peoples' experiences. I decided to write a blog, mainly because I need to use something to remind me of what I've learned but also to help other people with their unexpected love for tinkering among the bedding plants. Maybe someone will learn something from me one day!

I don't have any pictures of my garden before I ventured into the unknown because I didn't expect it to look much different! But I have plenty of "afters" and once I've figured out how to add pictures you won't be able to stop me!

No comments:

Post a Comment